...On the Move.


Almost five years ago, I moved to this vibrant lil' community in the heart of LA's coastline. At the time, I was fairly uncertain what the hell I was doing in Los Angeles, but extremely excited to live walking distance from the beach and to begin working in a faith-based, grass-roots environment. A lot has changed over the last few years -- a season filled with success and struggle, exploration and rooting, growth and brokenness -- including my sense of certainty. Many people move to LA to find themselves, and discover what they are made of; now I'm as far from industry material as possible, but in a funny way that's exactly what I am taking away from my time here.

In a few short weeks, I will pack up my things and move them 500 miles back up the state to begin a new chapter of my journey in Northern California.

I am both excited, and terrified.
I feel both freedom, and burden.
I have both confidence, and uncertainty.


"I have learned to kiss the waves that throw me upon the Rock of the Ages." 
-Charles Spurgeon

Despite my mixed emotions, I will leave Southern California bolder and stronger; as a woman who has come to better understand and know herself. Not because of personal achievements, not because I conquered all my fears, or even that made significant accomplishments in my pursuits; rather, through pain and struggle, through fires and trials, through bouts of depression and sorrow, through my greatest weaknesses and the lowest points of life I have ever walked through, I have also been shown the fierceness of God's love, power, and calling. Through the storms, I have experienced his goodness -- I have witnessed his pursuit, his redemption, and his grace. I have found the Rock that brings meaning, purpose, and security to my life.


"I do actually like Los Angeles. Partly because I was told that I wouldn't." 
-Hugh Laurie

Over the years, a city I once despised has become a place I deeply love. Filled with people who have enriched my life, memories that bring me overwhelming joy, and a strength I'd never really known before. I have traveled more than ever before in my life -- with friends who have encouraged me to get on trains, boats, planes, and in cars, and have filled our travels with laughter and goodness. I have spent more time with my family at dinner parties, holiday gatherings, and just-because visits than I have since I was a teenager; relationships have been strengthened and redeemed. I have been able to serve the families of the community I was born and raised in. I have come to love a place and people I once only wished to push out of my life completely. I have come to find glorious light and beauty in the City of Angels; and I am thankful for the people I have been blessed to walk, run, climb, train, swim, sink, and sail with over the last few years.
In the years to come, I am certain my journey will take me to places outside of the only state I have ever called home, and I am filled with awe as to when and where that will be. I look forward to the adventures to come, whether in the South or North of California, on islands out in the Pacific, or in Europe, in small countries across the globe or states across our nation -- I am excited to see what is next for me, and for you.




"Where we love is home -- home that our may leave, but not our hearts."

Thank you, my sweet friends, for the priceless memories, and my dear Los Angeles, for the many lessons. A piece of you will always be home to me. And thanks be to God, who is able to do exceedingly more than I can ever ask or imagine -- and who is found in all places that feel like home.

Comments

Klite3 said…
And I still don't know why you are moving! :) But I love your post and I love you! I love that we have been able to have sweet visits with each other and our family and am Hoping there are more to come since you are headed back to Northern CA. 😘
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
well written post about On the Move.

Thanks,

Mcx Tips Free Trial

Popular posts from this blog

Am I Finished

my cancer.

Dear Survivor